Firefox working on 3d homebrew game

Thanks to an Anonymous tip in the post below, good news from: http://forum.openhandhelds.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=878&start=10

Dunny writes:

Firefox (of the Jag Emu port fame) is messing with the Dingoo now:

Firefox wrote:

Doing a little bit of a game for the Dingoo:
Image
(Should've turned the brightness down a bit before taking the photo. The colours don't look washed out in real life.)
It's looking a bit like Zarch because the player's ship is just four triangles at the moment, but I was thinking of making the gameplay more like Zeewolf where the action takes place close to the ground.
Excuse the big blue triangle looming over the horizon! I just put that there when I was working out the pixel colour format of the framebuffer, and haven't bothered to take it out.

Firefox wrote:

piku wrote:

I really like low poly 3D style games for some reason :)

I miss them, really. I think they could work well on teensy handhelds, because the small screen limits how much detail you can put across anyway.
Here's a shot from last weekend of the same program running under SDL:
Image
I spent several weeks looking for a suitable game to port to the Dingoo, but in the end I thought I'd write a simple game that just needed to plot coloured pixels and read button presses. That makes the hurdle I have to jump to get it running on a new platform quite low.
Interestingly, the random number generator doesn't seem to work on the Dingoo. Instead of ground squares of random colours centred around green I get squares of a uniform colour (which is why I've turned the corner dots on). But the maps will eventually be generated by a separate program and compiled in anyway.

He's also stated that he might be porting Dio's Jag emulator to it (re-working the GP2X port) to see just how fast this little thing is, but it won't be without its problems:

Firefox wrote:

Well... I dunno, really.
The A320 probably has more computing power than a GP2X, or as much but more usefully concentrated into a single core, but it's a MIPS core so I'd have to run the slower Mushashi 68000 emulator instead of fdave's Cyclone.
When I get a minute I'll rummage through my pile of T2K ports and pick one that'll be easy to quickly hack into an A320 build (probably one of the single-core GP2X ports).

I think that the main problem will be the asm cores that people have hacked together for ARM won't translate very well initially to the MIPS processor, but it's gathering support at an astonishing rate - I've seen far more of these in the wild than I have of people who want a Wiz; most people don't know what the Wiz is, and the Dingoo is actually out there now.
D.

The game looks a little like Dave Baben’s Virus! It’s great to see developers take the Dingoo seriously. All the best Firefox!

Comments

  1. What about porting Geoof Crammond's "the Sentinel" on Dingoo? Reverse engineering of the speccy version should'nt be difficult (for experienced programmers) and the A320 has enough keys to emulate all commands (a,t,b,r,u,h+directions).
    I love this game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dingoo A380 Review

Mancala for Dingux released (Mandingoo was released in 1975)

Idiot’s Guide to installing Dingux using Windows released

An interview with the creator of the Tauon PC-1, Volodymyr Mishin

How to show all your 17,083 c64 games from the c64 romset (archive.org) on the C64 Mini or C64 Maxi loader

The Dingoo-Scene JXD S7800B (Rockchip 3188 SoC) Android Gaming Console Review

Tauon PC-1 review

Dingoo representative at a320.freeforums.org !